Mac-Gray has a long history of environmentally responsible practices and leadership in our industry. In the early 1990s Mac-Gray recognized the necessity of water and energy efficient washing machines, but none of the U.S. manufacturers were interested in producing such a product. That led Mac-Gray to form a relationship with Ipso, a Belgian manufacturer, to produce a front-loading machine to be imported to the U.S. market. Mac-Gray has been expanding its deployment of high-efficiency, water-saving washers ever since.
In 1997, Maytag began manufacturing their own high-efficiency, front-loading washers and Mac-Gray started to install the Maytag model on college and university campuses. Today, Mac-Gray is still promoting high-efficiency equipment and has installed such machines on over 90% of the campuses we serve. We're proud to say that our leadership in the installation of this type of equipment has resulted in saving billions of gallons of water over the years.
Managing our impact on the environment is a corporate priority. The following guidelines are established to support this policy:
1. Encourage customers to reduce the environmental impact of their properties and facilities and offer them environmentally responsible solutions to accomplish this objective.
2. Communicate with employees, customers and suppliers about environmental issues and activities to encourage responsible behavior.
3. Invest in the development of technology that will help reduce the impact our business activities have on the environment.
4. Conserve natural resources through the reuse and recycling of materials and by purchasing recycled materials whenever possible.
5. Encourage suppliers to provide products that are environmentally responsible, including the purchase of recycled materials.